River's Edge School is located at 319 West 11000 South in the city of South Jordan approximately 16 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah. The school resides in a suburban community with homes, apartment complexes and commercial businesses. River's Edge patrons are traditionally anxious to be supportive and involved in their student's education.
River's Edge is one of three special education schools located in the Jordan School District, specializing in emotional, social, and behavioral disorders. The school faculty are committed to helping improve the student's educational and behavioral needs.The school's motto is "Every Day is a New Day." River's Edge is dedicated to educating all students to high levels of academic performance as well as teaching them to be responsible, respectful, and safe.
- River's Edge currently serves approximately 45 students ages 7 through 21 with severe emotional, social, and/or behavioral disorders.
- River's Edge is in session 180 days per year on a traditional 9 month calendar with opportunities to attend the ESY program, held during the summer months. The school day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m. except for Friday which begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m. to allow team members time to meet and plan for the individual needs of students.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is approximately 1:5.
- All teacher's are highly qualified and all staff have received specific training to teach and interact with these special students.
- River's Edge is committed to providing learning opportunities for students of all ability levels.
- Teachers work cooperatively in learning communities to meet the needs of students.
- Special programs that are available to all qualifying students are: Speech, Occupational Therapy, Guidance, and Vocational Training.
- River's Edge has one Computer Lab and each classroom has computers available to assist in the learning and educational needs of students.
- River's Edge has an excellent lunch program. Cost for students is $1.75. Free and reduced price lunches are available to qualifying students.
- River's Edge is not a walk-in school. Each of the student's have gone through a Least Restrictive Environment committee and are then referred to attend the school.
- River's Edge has an active PTSO and School Community Council who provide valuable service to the school.
- Each year, our teachers attend in-service to upgrade and enhance instructional skills.
- Several of our staff have been recognized for out-standing leadership and instructional skills.